What kinds of speech disorders might be affecting my child?
The following are some common pediatric speech language disorders:
- Speech sound disorders – difficulty pronouncing sounds.
- Language disorders – difficulty understanding what they hear & expressing themselves with words.
- Cognitive communication disorders – difficulty with thinking skills including perception, memory, awareness, reasoning, judgment, intellect and imagination.
- Stuttering (fluency) disorders – interruption of the flow of speech that may include hesitations, repetitions, prolongations of sounds or words.
- Voice disorders – the quality of voice that may include hoarseness, nasality, volume (too loud or soft).
We can provide more detailed information on specific speech language disorders.